Saturday, July 7, 2012

New Picture

Oh, wow, getting back into drawing after a long break is really hard. For those of you who know me, I am allergic to mosquitoes. I get large, red, hard, inflammed blotches from single bites that persist for weeks and break all the local capillaries if not treated. Sometimes I react and sometimes I don't. It likely depends on the genetics of the mosquitoes, though I felt the quantity of mosquito saliva also mattered.

While looking for a -8 magnitude iridium flare sometime recently, I got bitten 48 times. I figured I'd react to at least one of them. Well, I also had a full-body rash afterward which was terribly unpleasant. (To top it off, we didn't see the iridium flare.) But the long walk was pleasant enough. I took my medications, was groggy for about five days, and now I finally finish my latest commission.

I notice that I really like using watercolor paper texture. It just adds so much more interest to the piece, no matter how I do it.


This is my first time working with dark skin color. I was having a really hard time figuring out how to pull it off. I didn't want to make it look African or any other race, per se, since this is the personification of a black cat and not originally a person of dark-skinned origins. In the end, I had to rely on using white outlines and accents to make it light up. I'm only slightly disgruntled about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment