Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Basic Digital Painting Tutorial

Lately I've been bogged down with school work. I only have four classes, one of which is an internship, for a total of 14 credits... so why is it that in my second week, I have already pulled an all-nighter? There are deadlines and grades EVERYWHERE. I swear, school is threatening to pull me into a dark alley and do all sorts of terrible things to my academic record.

On the bright side, my dad just bought me an external hard drive. I CAN FINALLY BACK UP MY WORK. This is brilliant, and no, I am not British! I immediately put all of my work-related things on it for safe measure. It's really small and portable and I love it to death. I just hope it doesn't break on me. It's super surprising how quickly data storage efficiency improves. 3-4 years ago, this roughly 4x6x0.5in case could only hold about 80GB. Mine holds 500BG, more than enough for my ever-growing collection of PSD files.

Anyway! That's not what you're here for (or is it? Ufufufufu...) Let's get down to business, shall we?



Just today, someone (anonymous!) asked me if I could critique his paintings. He has just gotten into digital painting and wanted some advice on his starting work despite that it wasn't finished it. I have to thank him. I'm a lazy bum sometimes and can't get tutorials started because I don't know where to work from. So here is a rough... and I say VERY ROUGH... painting tutorial.

Always remember to go back to your color basics! Foundations are important, boys and girls.



This is the original image that he gave me.

Not bad for just starting off, eh

KAY LET'S DO THIS THING



2 comments:

  1. I've seen your tutorial on DeviantArt and was pleased to see it here, too! It's great to have found a great artist here on glogspot!

    Oh and about the tutorial: I judge tutorials about what I can see. I rarely read them and see if I could understand them without the text and so for I could! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm not even close to a great artist yet but I picked up some things along the way to trying to be one. I try to remember what caused me difficulties when I was drawing and what problems I've solved, then try to relate how I solved them.

      I still have a long way to go though. :< And I need to make photoshop brushes.

      Delete